Skip to main content

Server 2012 and Server Core...New Plan

I am taking this new initiative to learn Server 2012 along with Server Core.....

Lab Setup:
I have VHD booted Server 2012 with full blown GUI on my Physical Machine (Name - DexterPOSH).
Then I have enabled the Hyper-V role on my this machine and installed a Server Core 2012 on a VM created in the Hyper-V (Name - DexServercore).

Along doing this Lab Setup, I came to learn cool things and I want to share them:

Step 1: Download the trial Server 2012 iso.

Step 2: I have a Windows 7 box , so to test the Server 2012 I am going to VHD Boot the Server 2012 for 180 days (license period) then delete the VHD and the boot entry. Here is a great article on how to do this for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for Server 2012 too.

Step3: Once you have VHD Booted your machine to Server 2012. Open our favorite PowerShell console and run the following to install Hyper-V role on the host

 Get-WindowsFeature -name *hyper* | Install-WindowsFeature

Reboot your machine to complete Hyper-V installation

Step 4: After reboot, create a new VM in Hyper-V

But before we do this we need to create a virtual switch using PowerShell v3, I am going to create a new internal network switch

New-VMSwitch -Name "internal network" -SwitchType Internal

Once the switch is created use this when creating the New VM :

New-VM -Name "ServerCore" -VHDPath D:\VHD\ServerCore.vhd -MemoryStartupBytes 1024MB -BootDevice IDE -SwitchName "Internal Network"

Step 5: Now the VM is created ...I need to add the Server Core iso to the VM and Boot it

Add-VMDvdDrive -VMName ServerCore –Path D:\ISOs\ServerCore.iso 

Start-VM -Name "ServerCore"

Now Boot the VM by going to Hyper-V manager and Connect to the VM and complete the installation.

 Following is a  ScreenShot of my Lab, Note that the Server Core is running in the VM ..Cool !


P.S. - Now there is another method which can be used.....Follow the VHD boot article(shared in step 2)  and apply the appropriate WIM Image from the ISO to the VHD of the New VM and you are good to go too :)
 --------------------------

That's all for now, will keep posting what I try on this setup.

Thanks



Popular posts from this blog

Test connectivity via a specific network interface

Recently while working on a Private cloud implementation, I came across a scenario where I needed to test connectivity of a node to the AD/DNS via multiple network adapters.  Many of us would know that having multiple network routes is usually done to take care of redundancy. So that if a network adapter goes down, one can use the other network interface to reach out to the node. In order to make it easy for everyone to follow along, below is an analogy for the above scenario: My laptop has multiple network adapters (say Wi-Fi and Ethernet) connected to the same network. Now how do I test connectivity to a Server on the network only over say Wi-Fi network adapter?

PowerShell + SCCM : Run CM cmdlets remotely

Today I saw a tweet about using implicit remoting to load the Configuration Manager on my machine by Justin Mathews . It caught my eye as I have never really tried it, but theoretically it can be done. Note - The second tweet says "Cannot find a provider with the name CMSite", resolution to which is in the Troubleshooting section at the end.

PowerShell : Trust network share to load modules & ps1

Problem Do you have a central network share, where you store all the scripts or PowerShell modules ? What happens if you try to run the script from a network share ? or if you have scripts (local) which invoke scripts or import PowerShell modules stored on this network share ? Well you would see a security warning like below (Note - I have set execution policy as 'Unrestricted' not 'bypass' here): Run a .ps1 from the network share Well this is a similar warning, which you get when you download scripts from Internet. As the message says run Unblock-File cmdlet to unblock the script and then run it, let's try it.